I've stopped to honor my "aha" moment of gutteral reaction to the CDC Guideline. Unlike other political events, I was not conditioned, nor prepared, to manage or shut out my feelings about the guidelines. My work requires a steady hand, an open heart, and a practical approach. As I intuitively examine my raw, unfiltered, instinctive reaction, several new reads and universal ideas are influencing me as we anticipate responsive steps that the National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association will take. One strong impression was to quickly connect hundreds of thousands of people who would support a strong demand for decency, integrity, and equality. A new Facebook group, Pain is Real was launched two days ago to coalesce the support of 100,000 people for a White House petition to
- support the National Pain Strategy;
- fund new pain research in the Federal Research Strategy;
- mandate insurance coverage for pain treatments
- measure the impact of opioid policies on people with chronic pain; and to
- call for a National Institute on Pain at the National Institutes of Health.
Perhaps other petitions or calls to actions will occur along the way. Please, join us there and share your thoughts about the overall situation for American citizens with chronic pain.