Why do people work with health coaches?
A certified health coach is a personal mentor who can help, motivate and encourage you to adjust your lifestyle and behavior for better health and wellness. They often have special training in diet and lifestyle wellness, as well as coaching. Together you set health goals, and your coach is with you every step to help you achieve those goals. Fibromyalgia (FM) health coaches specialize in helping FM patients make changes that will alleviate their symptoms and achieve a better quality of life.
What can a fibromyalgia health coach offer you?
Coaching strategies may vary by coach, but health coaching always includes regular appointments to give you the support you need on your wellness journey. There are options for over-the-phone coaching as well as in-person appointments. Based on professional training, research, and personal experience with FM, a coach helps clients to evaluate their current habits, identify goals for improvement, and review the past week’s challenges and successes.
Tami Stackelhouse, Founder of the International Fibromyalgia Coaching Institute, teaches her coaches and advisors to focus on seven key areas as they work with FM patients, which a health coach can offer you:
- Therapy recommendations
- Test suggestions
- Medication and natural therapy insights
- Diet, nutrition and exercise coaching
- Daily life and stress management tips
- Specialist and provider referrals
- Accountability for making lasting changes
Stackelhouse writes, “Your coach or advisor will be your cheerleader, encourager, and instructor along the way. She will celebrate your victories with you, encourage you when you think there isn’t anything to celebrate, and teach you to how to apply what you’re learning to your daily life.”
Her personal fibromyalgia coaching program aims to help you:
- Take control of your life and health.
- Gain freedom from your illness and the prison your body has become.
- Learn to pace yourself, so that you have fewer bad days and more good days.
- Manage your energy effectively, so that you get more done with less effort.
- Develop systems and strategies to streamline your life and time.
- Honor and care for your body with self-care techniques.
- Develop healthier eating habits that are simple, yet effective.
- Recover your hope that life can be great again.
- Create a sense of calm and peace of mind.
- Lower your pain levels.
Is a health coach the right choice for you?
A health coach is your ally. He or she will work with you to create lasting changes that improve your health and wellbeing. There will be good and bad days, but a coach can help you through the process. Stackelhouse suggests patients interested in getting a personal health coach should be willing to be coached and committed to putting in the effort required to make the changes. Reclaiming your health with the aid of a personal coach requires willingness to try new things, dedication, and a desire to feel better. If these attitudes sound like you, a health coach may be the perfect choice for you!
Portions reprinted from Tami Stackelhouse with permission. For more information on finding a Certified Fibromyalgia Coach or Advisor, or becoming a FM health coach, please visit FibromyalgiaCoachingInstitute.com.