Your voice matters, and you can make a difference!
People making decisions that significantly affect your quality of life (federal officials, legislators and policy makers) need to hear from you. Joining the #ISpeakForPain and telling your story can affect their policy decisions and new areas of research, as well as making chronic pain visible. The National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association and pain patient organizations were recently asked to reach out to people with pain and their families directly to ask about their experiences. Your voice matters in making a difference.
The NFMCPA is also raising support of the National Pain Strategy and chronic pain as a major national health issue. On June 22nd, we will launch 10 days of the #ISpeakForPain blitz, and we've designed simple, free ways YOU can be heard.
You will learn how to participate in this campaign effectively, how to blitz the Internet with the voices of chronic pain, and how to advocate for yourself and chronic pain patients across the country in incredibly easy, accessible ways. A full schedule of events is available below. A new activity will go live with working links each day. Make sure to use #ISpeakForPain in all of your social media posts related to the campaign to signal that you're speaking up for more research and improved healthcare for pain.
Save the date! On July 13th, a Twitter Storm of chronic pain voices is happening, and we need YOU to be a part of it and/or help promote it. The drive for 100,000 signatures on the White House Petition to support the National Pain Strategy will be launched then.
The 6 goals of the #ISpeakForPain are:
- Increase awareness and education of pain
- Give chronic pain patients a way to share their story about how chronic pain affects their lives
- Unify advocacy efforts of people living with pain to reduce stigma associated with chronic pain
- 100,000 signatures on the White House Petition supporting the National Pain Strategy (being launched July 13, 2016)
- Gather information to present to lawmakers in a portfolio format along with letters from their constituents
- Get the National Pain Strategy implemented and funded for more research and improved healthcare for pain
Together, we speak for pain! #ISpeakForPain
Activity: Learn about the #ISpeakForPain Campaign!
Activity: Learn about the National Pain Strategy
- Learn even more about the National Pain Strategy
- Click here to download and share the National Pain Strategy Infographic
- Click here to sign up for legislative e-alerts on the White House Petition and NPS Congressional Letters
Activity: Create your #ISpeakForPain sign and post a selfie on your social channels! Tag the NFMCPA.
- Click here for examples of signs and photos.
- Be sure to put #ISpeakForPain in your caption and tag the NFMCPA!
- Follow the NFMCPA on Twitter.
- Follow the NFMCPA on Instagram.
- Follow the NFMCPA on Facebook.
Activity: Sign your support on letters to the Senate and the House asking them to support the National Pain Strategy.
- Click here to read and sign the letter to the Senate.
- Click here to read and sign the letter to the House.
Activity: Prepare for the July 13th #ISpeakForPain Twitter Flare!
- Click here to for Twitter tips and training.
- Click here to follow @FibroAndPain and we'll follow you back!
- Click here to share your Twitter handle in a Facebook comment and follow each other.
- Click here to join the Twitter Thuderclap.
- Mark July 13th on your calendar to participate in the #ISpeakForPain Twitter Flare - When we all speak on the same day, our voices are amplified.
Activity: Share a video of why you speak for pain with #ISpeakForPain on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and/or YouTube.
- Click here to follow the National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association on YouTube.
- Click here to see #ISpeakForPain videos.
Activity: Get social and speak for pain on Facebook!
- Take a selfie the the #ISpeakForPain poster and share on social media with #ISpeakForPain
- Click here to download the #ISpeakForPain Cover Photo
- Record a video of why you speak for pain on your phone and share on social media with #ISpeakForPain.
- Click here to submit your video to the NFMCPA.
Click here to see the #ISpeakForPain videos you are sharing!
Activity: Tell your story!
- Click here to tell your story to your legislators on yourvoicematters.info
- Write a blog post about why you speak for pain.
- Click here to find #ISpeakForPain blog posts and comment.
- Tweet links to your favorite #ISpeakForPain blog posts
Activity: Arts and Crafts Therapy
- Share your art on social media with #ISpeakForPain - photographs, coloring pages, thread arts, t-shirts, or anything that inspires you.
- Click here to download the #ISpeakForPain coloring page.
- Click here to submit your #ISpeakForPain coloring page to the NFMCPA.
Activity: #ISpeakForPain Round-Up
- Click here to review photos, artwork, selfies, stories and posts with #ISpeakForPain. See how many voices made a difference!
- Mark your calendars for July 13 #ISpeakForPain Twitter Flare to launch the White House petition.